Wednesday, September 5, 2007

From Sunrise to Sunset...

My favorite place in DC, WWII monument

I've spent a little over 3 years on the east coast now, and I've grown pretty attached. It's amazing how much I'm going to miss it, when I think about it. First and foremost, I'll miss all the good friends that I've made out here. I love how diverse and interesting my group of friends is. From orthopedic surgeons to professional photographers to computer engineers to government employees to graduate students to ex-speech writers turned entrepreneur/home re-habers. I can always count on being engaged in some kind of interesting conversation or hearing a great story and always laughing a lot whenever we hang out.. whether it's over dinner or a TV show. So, I'm really going to miss my friends. The dance parties, the movie nights, the Sunday dinners, the TV show parties (24, AI, OC, FOC, ETC).

I'm also going to miss the aesthetic beauty of this area. It's my understanding that Virginia and Maryland have laws preventing billboards along the freeways, and it's amazing what a difference it makes. I've always loved driving here because it's so beautiful and green everywhere you go. Of course, in the winter it's not nearly as green, but I'm not sure if I've seen a more beautiful sight than freshly fallen snow on the billions of bare trees and branches being lit up by the orange glow of the morning sunrise. Fall is another time of year that just blows my mind with the beauty of it. With the change of colors on most all of the trees, it seems that if you were to snap a photo in any direction you look, you'd have a picture that would perfectly represent the autumn season. Then, DC is famous for it's springtime beauty, thanks to the cherry blossoms.

I just realized I'm talking a little too much about flowers and nature. In any case, I'm going to miss all the nature out here. I will especially miss the river, and sailing out on the Potomac. Luckily, I'll have another body of water-- the pacific, which should keep me pretty satisfied in that department (which would be..the bodies of water department, I guess?). It's late.

I'm really going to miss the basketball out here. I've played with a couple different city-league teams, and I've enjoyed being the lone white-boy on the team. I'll definitely miss the street ball pick up games, and showing the brothas that some white boys can jump. And, I'll miss my buddy "Radar." (I'm actually not sure what his real name is.. he goes by Radar because "when he shoots, it's like the ball has a radar system in it to find the hoop every time." He is a pretty dang good shooter too, so I've never really questioned it. Radar and I met at the park and we swapped numbers. Since then, we've been playing at different street courts and gyms around the DC metro area for over a year now. He's a regular at our semi-exclusive Monday night hoops at the church, and has become a good friend as well.

Here's a little video clip with commentary from my team and I during the championship game of our Arlington city league...




Janine came to our City League "Championship" (Spring 2005) and took some shots - She's amazing in so many ways (we won it)


Get up white boy!


Finally, I'll miss the architecture of all the buildings out here. From the monuments to the row houses in Georgetown, to the classic Virginia colonial homes, I've really enjoyed seeing all the classic colonial architecture.


The house that the Jeffries brothers built (or signed a lease on over 4 years ago - 2 1/2 yrs. of which I had the pleasure and at times displeasure of living in it)


Virginia charm. I never lived in this house, but just wanted to post a good example of the cuteness and quaintness of the Crystal City neighborhoods (aka little Provo - though I feel the two are worlds apart)


Everyone always talks about how they love where they're from, and how it's the greatest place in the world and so on. I've lived in a lot of different places and I tend to find the many positive things about each place I've lived in. I have a ton of good things to say about DC and living here. It really is a great place to live. There is so much to do and see. It's super picturesque, and so close to other great places like NYC and North Carolina's outer banks. It's a great place to live, and if you don't mind having to get bundled up for a couple months in the winter, and the 3 1/2 drive to the beach, it's really close to unbeatable. Oh, don't forget having to deal with some pretty ridiculously humid days-- where all it takes is two steps outside an un-air-conditioned area and you're immediately starting to feel a layer of perspiration cover every square inch of your body. That sounds pretty dramatic, but there really are days like that. You may need to experience it to believe it.

So.. tomorrow I start my drive across the country. Approximately 2,700 which translates to 39 hours according to both google maps and mapquest. I'm planning on doing it in three days, which gives me 72 hours during which I'll be driving over half of the time. I think I can do it. I may be making a lot of phone calls.. since I will be flying solo. In any case.. I need to get to bed so I have a chance of staying awake. Next time I post, it'll be from where the sun sets.

This post is pretty wordy.. but I have a lot of photos to come.. Especially since I just bought a D80 Nikon that is capable (if the user is knowledgeable enough) of taking some really nice pictures. I bought it in New York City at B&H Photo which was an event in and of itself.. but since the purchase on Thursday, I've taken over 1,000 photos. The best of the best will be in the next post.




3 comments:

BSG said...

I miss you, man. You're one of like 4 dudes I've let into the Upper Tier of Jimmy's Dude Friends.

We'll be joining you in California soon enough.

Helen said...

Nice Blog :)

The Last Man said...

Great post, J. That captures a lot of my feelings about DC, too. Hurry up and post something about California so I can think about moving back to SoCal.

Miss ya, buddy.