Friday, July 20, 2007

Peg Your Jeans in NYC

I went to NYC last weekend and had an excellent time as expected. There are a few things that make New York one of the greatest places in the world, especially in the summer time. If you don't already know.. allow me to explain. First and foremost, you've got the food. Just look at this sandwich.

This is the Chicavo at Lenny's
(go big... add bacon and ask for extra chicken)

Everyone knows or has heard about the food in New York, but every time I go, I'm always kind of in awe of how many quaint, cool little places there are that have just amazingly good food. Not to mention the atmosphere of these street cafes/bistros/restaurants is unparalleled. And then the convenience of having 10 different good options along the span of a couple blocks is just unreal. Despite the quantity of food I eat on a regular basis, I'm a relatively slender guy. But, I guarantee- if I lived in New York within such close proximity to so much good food... I'd be struggling to stay a 34-36 waist. It amazes me that there are so many skinny girls there with the amount of food that constantly surrounds them. Of course if there's anything that would distract a girl from food, it's shoes. (There may be as many shoe stores as there are restaurants.)

And that leads me to my next reason why NY is awesome. The fashion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a man's man.. I prefer sports, cars and motorcycles before even thinking about fashion. But, I am a sucker for a girl with style. And the girls in New York have it. So much style. Even the girls who some would consider average looking or semi-cute anywhere else, are pretty hot in New York. It's like when you see a girl fly past you in like a red convertible.. with big sunglasses on and her hair whipping around in the wind.. you can hardly see her, but you instinctively want to catch up because you're like, oh man.. she was hot! That's the kind of the effect that New York has on girls. The city just makes them look really good. Maybe it's the tough edge they get from living in the somewhat harsh conditions (like.. dealing with taxis honking and sirens ringing all night long, sweating while waiting in the 100+ degree temps in the subway, endless foul odors that will at whim come up and slap you in the face, walking up 6 flights of stairs in the un-air-conditioned apartment building when the elevator breaks down, or the other extreme weather in the winter when it's too cold to really even go outside). But if you're a woman living in New York, you're tough, strong, independent, and downright sexy.

A perfect example of smoking hot girls showing their NYC style
(at Coney Island)


So anyway, to state the obvious, NY is all about fashion. If you want to see the latest trends or what's "hot"... just cruise down to SoHo.. or stroll down the club-filled streets of the meat-packing district on any given night of the week. In the process you'll see a million super attractive women and dudes with great style.

Now, I'd like to address one particular trend that has caught on over this past year, "skinny jeans" aka "pegged leg jeans" (a jean that is completely tapered down to the ankle). They have been in for a while now, but, just this last weekend I saw for the first time since '87, people actually pegging their jeans. I got a picture of this group below.

Pegging in NYC


Here are a few examples of the "skinny jean" at its best...

Ashley, Fergie, Rachel


Christina


Eddie

I'm starting to get off track here. Another reason I love New York is there is a lot of love that's just floating in the air. There are couples everywhere, and it's just a romantic place. I'm not the most romantic person, but I've had what I've felt were a few pretty romantic moments there. In fact, I feel like every time I go, I seem to have a romantic moment, and this past weekend was no exception. It's different than a romantic moment on the beach, or on a ferris wheel, or while watching a sunset.

Of course, there's nothing like romance on the beach either
(Ryan and Abby.. completely oblivious that anyone else is around..)

6 comments:

sarah marie. said...

i don't know what to say.

Unknown said...

um.....who got you out of your subway chain-food ways and opened your eyes to the splendor that is Lenny's? who? just wondering.

Unknown said...

and...my name isn't greg. why does it say i'm greg?

Beth Davis said...

Hi Jason! I just found your blog! It was nice being able to see what you've been up to these days. Tell Ryan "hello" for me! JC and I are living just south of Dana Point, CA. We love it but will probably end up back in DC when he comes back from Iraq. Take Care!

Abby and Ryann said...

I second Sarah's comment. You should work for the Papparazzi...

BSG said...

This might just be that moment, dude - the one where I officially break from semi-trendiness to Old Man status.

We all wondered when we were kids how hard it could possibly be for our nerdy parents to get a clue, right?

Dude, I draw the line at pegged jeans. Sorry. I won't allow a pair of those back into my closet, so I guess I'm officially an adult now.