Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A week in California... isn't long enough

I love summer. The warm weather, the sun, the long days, vacations, the beach, the people out and about everywhere... Summer has to be the best time of the year. This past week I was spent the whole week at the beach with just a couple short breaks to play basketball and golf. I feel quite blessed that I have so many great opportunities in life, and also for my family and friends.

DAY 1 - SALT CREEK

Salt Creek is a gorgeous beach in southern Orange County set in a cove of Dana Point. It has great waves, fine sand, lots of babes and showers--which are convenient for those who don't love that salty feeling when heading home after a long day of being drenched in saltwater and sun.


Salt Creek may be my favorite beach in Southern California


The view from the Ritz Carlton above the beach


I hope to spend "the first night" here...


Here are a few members of our crew talking about all the fun we're about to have.
Aaron, me, Jimmy and Rachel


I'm asking Aaron if he's excited to get out there... he was


The wait...


The fun begins... trying to get inside this mini barrel


Aaron's first of the day


Rob dog... taking off... he's addicted


soo fun


rippin' Rob


cruisin

hang loose?


get down that line


duck


go get it bro
(a little push never hurts)


he got it


Aaron and I sharing a party wave
(we've shared a lot of things in our lives)


Jimmy and Rachel getting ready to paddle out... maybe


you can't blame him, he has a great view from there


meanwhile, we're just chatting about our future wives


Zachary, our photographer, also an amazing artist..
Go to www.zacharyproctor.com!!


Zach.. "ain't no thang"


the Jeffries


how was it Rob?


Taylor can't get enough, but we finally pulled him out of the water


Day 2 - Newport Beach

Everyone knows about Newport, thanks to Seth, Ryan, Summer, and Marissa...

Here's Sandy Cohen taking a break from his law practice
oh, wait.. no, that's Aaron Renfro! (also a lawyer)


uh.. Rob.. watch out for that dude..


he's got it all under control


Sometimes it's fun to pick a spot on the wave and just launch off, like this...

eying it..

the set-up


up, up and away.. just needs a little more tuck


Rob's checking out some frolicking mermaids


like these ones


I'm seriously considering becoming a lifeguard



Here's a little sequence from Day 2 at Newport...

1


2


3

4


5

I'm not that strong riding backside... but it's still a blast...

Riding "backside" means that your body is positioned such that the wave is to your back rather than your front. It's a little more difficult to maneuver and turn when riding backside.

Here's another backside sequence...

drop in


hold tight


k, think I got it..


this is fun


uh-oh


gotta pull out


and..


made it



and then we paddle back out... forever in search of the perfect wave



my face says it all.. especially the mouth part (deep thought)



Here are some family shots from the week...

Taylor and Jess... such cuties


seriously


Maughan fam shot 1 (minus 2 in michigan)


me and my girls


Maughan fam shot 2


I'm a little worried about her going to college... I may follow her there to watch out for her!


hang loose brah



and.. it's back to the beach...



the Maughan girls have such pretty eyes and great smiles


sometimes we take a break from the surf


I'm trying to figure out what Taylor is trying to do there...




he found sand in his ears and hair for days


maybe we should keep Taylor in the water


he thinks he'll be taller than me someday


here's our classic surf pose, complete with babes (even though they're our sisters)


set, go!


oh snap!

watch out...
work it girl!

Stef's pose is perfect, but we may need to work on her outfit


they're so supportive of their older bro


and they love hanging out with him


pink blanket, mom's hat and sunglasses... but I promise I like girls (a lot)


Super cute Stef... nevermind the stolen flower


my sistas


dad, my hero



SO, to summarize... California in the summertime is pretty much amazing. I think I'll be going back very soon! ;)


4 comments:

Rob C. said...

nice blog, bro. that second backside sequence where you're grabbing the rail, you look so slater-esque. impressive. less than one year. that could be a daily thing. i'm serious.

sarah marie. said...

wow. you get the award for the most photos in one post. or the most photos of yourself with your shirt off. my sister and i just looked at this together and read the captions out loud and were rolling. not necessarily because it was funny though. and my mom was in the back ground and said if you ever find a girl you like more than yourself you should marry her. in fact..you should just marry one of your sisters. just kidding jason! and you're family is really cute. hey..remember when you used to comment on my blog?

Abby and Ryann said...

Whoa your post looks like one of those flip picture books- you know the ones where you turn the pages quickly and it looks like the image is moving... yup I feel like I was there to witness every set. Make sure you back up those pictures in case someone tries to mess with your camera and accidentally erases your memory card. ;) I don’t know… just an idea. Lol just kidding! Cute fam.

Anonymous said...

Is that my old friend Rob Ure?